This week we will celebrate our fifth anniversary as a mission of the New England Annual Conference as we honor our Reconciling Saints for this year. Rev. Dr. Karen Oliveto from the Pacific School of Religion will be our guest preacher.
This year our congregation is proud to honor those who helped found the ministry five years ago including, Ray Morang, a lay person at Grace UMC in Lynn who at the age of 88 years old changed his mind about sexuality. Ray often says that he used to be a "bigot," in his prejudice against gay and lesbian people, but through the ministry of his home health aide, Leslie, God broke open his heart. After this conversion moment, Ray stood on the floor of annual conference and spoke in support of the creation Cambridge Welcoming Ministries. His voice made all the difference in the voting.
We will also honor five congregations who have been instrumental in our success over the years including:
- Grace UMC - the congregation who offered us a home
- Lexington UMC - a congregation who offered us institutional and financial support
- United Parish of Auburndale - a congregation who continues to partner with us in our ministry
- Sudbury UMC - a congregation who works with us in solidarity through their prayers, presence, gifts and service
- College Ave. UMC - the congregation who continues to offer us hospitality and a home
A reception will follow, catered by Gargoyles.